Faculty-Staff September news update
September 14, 2011
Mr. David Beisner attended the Social Media Marketing 2011 Seminar in Chattanooga on August 19.
Dr. Ed Fickley, adjunct instructor, attended the Tennessee Association of Middle Schools annual conference in Sevierville, TN, June 16-17, where he conducted a workshop titled, "Making Learning Meaningful."
Dr. Gary Fitsimmons continues to have quarterly installments of his “Small Academic Library Perspective Library Leadership” column published in The Bottom Line: Managing Library Finances. The latest are a series on “Directing the Personnel Search.” He was also elected to the position of Vice-Chair/Chair Elect of the Library Operations and Management Section of the Library Leadership and Management Association. He assumed this office while attending the American Library Association’s 2011 Annual Conference held the last week of June in New Orleans, LA.
Mr. Matt Johnson, coordinator for institutional effectiveness, attended The Institute on Quality Enhancement and Accreditation hosted by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACS-COC), July 17-20, Fort Worth, TX.
Dr. Jeff Myers, who taught at and represented Bryan College for 14 years, was unanimously appointed by the board of Summit Ministries to become its new president upon the retirement of Dr. David Noebel. The Myers family moved to Manitou Springs, Colorado, during the summer in preparation for Jeff to assume his new responsibilities October 1. Below is Dr. Myers' recent speaking schedule:
- June 3 – Presented at a faculty workshop at Hill Country Christian School, Austin, TX
- June 4-5 – Presented a training workshop at Hill Country Bible Church and spoke at Sunday services, Austin, TX
- June 10-11 – Keynote speaker at Sacramento Homeschool Conference, Sacramento, CA
- June 12-24 – Summit Ministries Colorado – Session 3, Manitou Springs, CO
- June 16 – Presented a training workshop for the Salvation Army leader’s school, Suffern, NY
- June 26-July 8 – Summit Ministries Colorado – Session 4, Manitou Springs, CO
- July 10-22 – Summit at Bryan College, Dayton, TN
- July 14 – Keynote address at the Brethren National Youth Conference, Johnstown, PA
- July 17-29 – Summit Ministries Colorado – Session 5, Manitou Springs, CO
- July 30 – Spoke at Southeast Homeschool Expo, Atlanta, GA
- July 31-August 12 – Summit Ministries Colorado – Session 6, Manitou Springs, CO
- August 6 – Spoke at Chicago Homeschool Expo – Chicago, IL
- August 7-19 – Summit Ministries at Green Lake, WI
- August 11-12 – Delivered a banquet speech and faculty workshop for Columbia Christian School, Columbia, AR
- August 17-18 – Presented at a faculty workshop for area Christian schools in Lubbock, TX
- August 19 – Presented at a faculty workshop for Christian Heritage Academy, Del City, OK
- August 14-26 – Summit Ministries Colorado – Session 7 – Manitou Springs, CO
- August 28-September 9 – Summit Ministries Colorado – Session 8 – Manitou Springs, CO
From the Office of Spiritual Formation
- Ms. Amy Hutchinson, Ms. Danielle Rebman, adjunct instructor Mr. Sam Youngs, and 17 students attended a workshop on Jesus in the Quran in Atlanta, GA, September 9-10.
- Mr. Ben Norquist, Ms. Amy Hutchinson, and 9 students will attend the Story Conference at Park Community Church, Chicago, IL, September 15-16. The conference theme is "Imagine Nation."
Dr. Roger Sanders was a guest speaker at the Kansas City First Church of the Nazarene on May 29; First Baptist Church, Willard, Missouri, June; and Rocky Mountain Creation Fellowship, Denver, CO, June 10, where he was also interviewed for the radio program Real Science Friday (available here). He attended the Botany 2011 conference in St. Louis, MO, including two days of research at the Missouri Botanical Garden, July 10-15. He and Dr. Todd Wood attended Origins 2011 in Rapid City, SD, July 26-30, where he presented two contributed papers.
Dr. Todd C. Wood attended the annual conference of the Society for the Study of Evolution held in Stillwater, OK, June 17-21. His commentary on the conference is available at his blog. Accompanied by archivist and CORE assistant Mrs. Stephanie Wood, he also attended Origins 2011, the annual joint conference of the Creation Biology Society and Creation Geology Society, in Rapid City, SD, July 26-30. There he presented four contributed papers and one invited lecture.