Resident Director Position Opening (Male)Department: Student Life
Location: Dayton Campus
Reports To: Assistant Dean of Community Life
Compensation: Salaried with benefits
The Resident Director (RD) position is a live-in 10-month full-time position that is part of the Office of Enrollment Management. The RDs report directly to the Assistant Dean of Community Life.
- Supervise and disciple the Resident Assistants (RAs) in his/her residence hall by building a strong relationship with each one, providing encouragement, and developing a “working team” support system.
- Assist in the planning and implementation of the RA Retreat.
- Participate in the regular RA meetings.
- Assist in the RA selection process.
- Set a Christ-like example for students in speech and behavior.
- Enforce College standards, rules and regulations, reporting major discipline problems and offenses to the Dean or Assistant Dean of Community Life.
- Establish visibility and availability within the residence halls.
- Work to create a residence hall atmosphere conducive to individual growth.
- Advise and counsel students as necessary, making appropriate referrals as needed.
- Assist in the beginning and end of the year residence hall procedures.
- Conduct beginning and end of the year residence hall meetings and other meetings as necessary.
- Assure that all housing areas are ready for occupancy at the beginning of each semester.
- Act as advisor to the Residence Hall Council.
- Report custodial and maintenance needs to the appropriate departments.
- Assist in emergency situations, reporting problems to the appropriate officials.
- Serve as “RD on-duty” according to duty schedule.
- Attend appropriate departmental staff meetings.
- Provide support and encouragement to fellow staff members in an effort to build a working team.
- Demonstrate a growing relationship with Christ through lifestyle and speech.
- Directly supervises the Resident Assistants(RAs) of his/her hall. The RDs carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with Bryan College’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include training staff; planning, assigning, and directing tasks. In addition, the RDs are responsible for interviewing and hiring new staff members, addressing complaints, and resolving problems.
ESSENTIAL CHARACTER AND QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS:
- A lifestyle and testimony that demonstrate a vital and growing relationship with Jesus Christ; competence in relational, interactive, supportive and confrontational skills
- Ability to develop and/or utilize schedules, records, reports and forms to organize time and manage a college residence facility
- Ability and desire to establish relationships with people of diverse backgrounds
- A commitment to the educational mission of Bryan College as a non-denominational Christ-centered liberal arts college;
- A willingness to abide by the “Christian Life Standards” outlined in the Staff Handbook.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
- A Bachelor’s degree is required; Master’s and experience is preferred.
- The RDs should expect to be up late nights often, as this is the time that many residential college students are actively seeking to spend time with their RDs.
- Generally, heavy lifting and exposure to dangerous situations/substances are not part of this job. The noise level may vary, depending on what student activity is happening at any given time.
Please fill out the online application and attach your résumé.