Sayles AAC volleyball Coach of the Year
February 05, 2007
Leo Sayles, coach of the Lady Lions volleyball team, has been named Volleyball Coach of the Year in the Appalachian Athletic Conference.
Coach Sayles’ Lady Lions finished the regular season second in the conference with a 14-4 conference record. “We were the only conference team during the regular season to take conference champion King College to a fifth game in our match,” the coach said.
Overall, the Bryan squad had a 27-12 record, a dramatic turnaround from the 11-24 record in 2005. This year’s record is the best by a Bryan volleyball team since 1984.
In addition to Coach Sayles’ honor, his team was selected to receive the AAC Champions of Character award, the second time in his three years. Athletes receiving honors included:
- Robin Renfroe, NAIA All American-Honorable Mention, Region XII First Team, AAC All-Conference First Team.
- Robin Renfroe, Amber Smith, Abby Humphrey, Kathryn Rawley, NCCAA Mid-East All-Region team.
- Gabrielle Claxton, AAC All-Tournament Team.
- Amber Smith, AAC Freshman Player of the Year.
- Kathryn Rawley, Kristin Green, NAIA All-America Scholar-Athletes.
- Kathryn Rawley, Kristin Green, Kaylin Carswell, 2006 AAC Scholar Athletes.