Students offer free income tax help
March 11, 2008
Bryan College’s Students in Free Enterprise (SIFE) team will offer free income tax preparation help to low- to moderate-income persons through April 15, SIFE Advisor Rick Taphorn said.
“Students certified by the IRS will work with taxpayers through the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program to prepare their tax returns,” Mr. Taphorn said. “The complexity of the forms and laws is an obstacle that frustrates many taxpayers’ efforts to complete their own return. VITA is a great opportunity for the local community to file an electronic return without having to pay a commercial tax preparer.”
He explained that to qualify for the free assistance, a taxpayer’s income must be below approximately $40,000.
To schedule an appointment for tax form preparation assistance, call Mr. Taphorn at 423-775-7339 or email email@example.com
Taxpayers should bring the following to complete their return:
· Photo identification
· Social Security cards for the taxpayer and dependents
· Birth dates for the taxpayer and dependents
· A copy of last year’s federal and state returns, if available
· Wage and earning statements Forms W-2, W-2G, 1099-R, from all employers
· Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099)
· Current year’s tax package if you received one
· Other relevant information about income and expenses
· Total amount paid for day care
· Day care providers’ identifying numbers
· Bank routing numbers and account numbers for direct deposit of refund
To file taxes electronically on a “married filing jointly” tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms.