Chorale's European tour a success
June 10, 2010

E-mail this to a friend   Post this page to Facebook  

Eight concerts in 14 days, three countries, and two trans-Atlantic flights left the Bryan Chorale tired but rejoicing in ministry opportunities and almost overwhelmed by what they saw.

The Chorale left for England May 10, and took the next day to see the sites in London–and to try to recover from jet lag.

Astbury Parish Church where the
Chorale’s inaugural concert was held.
Their first concert, under the direction of Dr. David Luther, the following day in Congleton’s Astbury Parish Church was enthusiastically received by the audience. The church was full, despite a small admission charge collected to assist the local Rotary Club’s contribution to Rotary International’s fight against polio.

On May 13, the chorale toured Roman ruins in Chester, before presenting a concert at St. Johns Methodist Church in Whitchurch. Chorale members learned that attendance at churches in England is “sparse at best, and the spirits of those who do attend are weary." Members of the parish sent us off with statements like, ‘we needed a boost, and you gave it to us.’”

Another day of touring in London and a concert at St. Thomas’ Church preceded their trip to Paris and a day of sightseeing there, before proceeding to Vevey, Switzerland, where they sang at All Saints English Church. According to one chorale member, “The concert went very smoothly and in accordance with what we had heard about the possible reaction of the French and Swiss to our music, they demanded an encore of the final song." The pastor encouraged the chorale with these words, "You have quenched some thirsty souls.”

The group gathers for their traditional
European tour photograph in Switzerland
with the Alps as a backdrop.
After a tour of L’Abri, led by Francis Schaeffer’s great-granddaughter, the chorale presented a concert at a community center in Albertville, France, to an audience overwhelmingly made up of non-Christians. Chorale members left with the hope that their love for the Lord had been communicated through song.

Leaving Albertville, the chorale went on to St. Etienne, France, for two days where they ministered to a home church congregation who rented out the Grand' Eglise for the night;'s concert. 

Staying at Camp Des Cimes in the French Alps was breathtakingly beautiful.  The next concert took place in Grenoble, opened by a local choir, something like an American reggae gospel group. That rousing performance was an enthusiastic introduction to the Chorale’s performance that night.

Their final concert, on May 23, was in the French Alps in LeFreney. They sang to a full house, once again with the understanding that there probably were no believers in the audience.