Communicate Your EventThe following process is designed to help students who are planning events to:
- Minimize schedule conflicts
- Maximize use of the communication channels available to you
- Increase campus community awareness of the opportunities available
- Increase involvement and attendance at your event
Step One: Schedule
- Review www.bryan.edu/calendar to see what else is going on.
- Choose the date and time with the fewest conflicts related to the target group for your event. For example, if student-athletes make up a large percentage of those you anticipate being involved in your activity, choose a date when the team doesn't have a scheduled game.
Step Two: Get Approval
- Discuss the details of your event with and get approval for your event from Dean of Community Life Bruce Morgan or Assistant Dean of Community Life Tim Shetter. PCI-related events must be approved by a staff member in the Spiritual Formation Office.
- You must secure approval for your event before moving to Step Three.
Step Three: Reserve
- If needed, for all campus locations except for classrooms, contact firstname.lastname@example.org to reserve facilities space.
- If location is a classroom, contact email@example.com.
- If you have food needs, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Background music, contact email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- AV needs, contact email@example.com.
- Funding request, contact one of the SGA Events Vice Presidents.
- If you wish to make an announcement during chapel, (a) your event must already be on the master calendar (see Step Four), (b) your announcement must follow guidelines (see Step Eight), and (c) your announcement must be reserved for a specific chapel date.
Step Four: Post on Master Calendar
- Confirm details of your event.
- Use Master Calendar Request Form to submit details.
- This is the heart of Bryan's communication system because other communication channels (Announcer, digital signage, etc.) derive much of their information from the master calendar. If an event does not appear here, it doesn't officially exist.
Step Five: Include on Digital Signage
- If one week ahead of your event, the event is on the master calendar (Step Three), then a standard announcement will automatically be included in the campus' digital signage system. Locations include the flat-screen monitors in various buildings and the Rudd Auditorium platform screen.
- If you want a special sign posted, follow the instructions on Digital Signage PowerPoint Submission Form.
- Click through the digital signs »
Step Six: Request a Press Release
Optional & Subject to Approval)
If your event is open to the public (a concert, for example) and you would like to promote the event via an official college press release submitted to local newspapers, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Step Seven: Send E-Mail Announcement to Student Body
Send details of your announcement to email@example.com and request that your message be forwarded to the student body e-mail distribution list.
(Optional & Subject to Approval)
Step Eight: Post a Sign on Approved Bulletin Boards
(Optional & Subject to Approval)
- Bring poster to the Office of Student Life for approval.
- Once approved, you may hang your sign on the approved bulletin board location. No signs may be hung on walls, glass doors, window, etc., as the tape damages surfaces with sticky residue after signs are removed.
Step Nine: Make a Chapel Announcement
(Optional & Subject to Approval - Limit One Announcement Per Event)
- Remember that chapel announcements are a privilege, not a right. Spiritual Formation may choose not to do announcements in chapel at any time.
Your chapel announcement must meet the following qualifications:
- Chapel announcements must be made in association with a Bryan College club, class or organization.
- Chapel announcements (handheld microphone announcements or DVD announcements) must be 60 seconds or less.
- Media files should be emailed to Jeff Eenigenburg or brought to his office on a thumb drive no later than 48 hours in advance. Please note that the following files are incompatible and must be converted to a compatible file or burned to a CD/DVD: flv, avi, windows media, and real player files.
- Regular announcements must be requested at least 24 hours in advance.
- Please check the Chapel Announcement Availability list to see which chapels are available for announcements.
- Please email Spiritual Formation describing as specifically as possible your needs or plans for your announcement, subject to approval.
- You must come 5 minutes early to the front of Rudd to connect with Amy Hutchinson, Coordinator for Strategic Support, before chapel begins.
Step Ten: Use Social Media to Communicate Your Event (optional)
- Bryan has a social media policy that outlines requirements for all official Bryan College social networking sites, This policy does not apply to personal social media accounts.
- Here's a link to all of Bryan's official social media channels. If you need to know who manages any of these accounts, please contact the web communications department.