Professor of Music
Office Phone: 423.775.7289
- D.M.A. Church Music, Southern Baptist Theological Seminary
- M.M. Music History and Literature, Mankato State University
- B.S. Music Education, Bob Jones University
- Chattanooga Bach Choir
- Chattanooga Symphony & Opera Chorus
- Tabernacle Symphony of Praise
- Classical Music Critic for the Chattanooga Times Free press, 2007-present.
- “Hymnology” entry: Encyclopedia of Christian Literature, 2010.
- “John Newton: Beyond ‘Amazing Grace’,” Minds and Hearts in Praise of God: Hymns and Essays in Church Music in Honor of Hugh McElrath, 2006
- Dozen+ articles for Encyclopedia of American Gospel Music, 2005
- Articles on Gospel hymn writers for The New Grove Dictionary of Music and Musicians, 2nd ed., 2000.
- “William Bradbury,” “Fannie Crosby,” “George F. Root,” “George Webb.” Signed articles forAmerican Dictionary of Biography, 1999.
- “United States Hymnody from the Civil War through the Twentieth Century.” The New Century Hymnal Companion, 1998.
Topics of Expertise
- Church music: hymnody and congregational song
- Music history: American music, European music, classical traditions
- Music of 19th and 20th century revivalism
- Music of the Scopes Trial
- 4-Year Plans
- Academic Calendar
- Academic Catalog
- Academic Support Center
- Academic Transcript
- Bryan Center for Undergraduate Research
- Center for Leadership & Justice
- Core Curriculum
- Final Exam Schedule
- Scholarships & Symposia
- Summit’s Worldview Conference