Bryan’s mission is “educating students to become servants of Christ to make a difference in today’s world.” The College seeks to assist in the personal growth and development of qualified students by providing an education based upon an integrated understanding of the Bible and the liberal arts.
Bryan College was established as a four-year undergraduate college of arts and sciences, although until 1958 the corporate title used the term “University.” In December 2005 the College was authorized by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (Commission on Colleges) to offer its first graduate degree: The Master of Business Administration. Chartered in 1930 under the laws of Tennessee as a general welfare corporation with the basic purpose of providing “for the higher education of men and women under auspices distinctly Christian and spiritual,” the College has responded to changing times with various modifications of its educational program. The goals for institutional development and the changing climate in American higher education will continue to influence the educational program. However, the original institutional purpose as a Christian liberal arts college remains unchanged.
With an awareness of its heritage and a commitment to its future, the College endeavors to serve its constituencies by traditional and novel means. Bryan College maintains the following distinctives as part of its vision for the next century. Bryan College has developed and will maintain:
- An identity as a Christian liberal arts college which is evangelical, nondenominational, and regionally accredited.
- A firm biblical emphasis, both in curriculum and in principles for everyday life, based upon unequivocal acceptance of the inerrancy and authority of the Scriptures.
- A Christian worldview as the foundation for the engagement of faith, learning, and living.
- A competent faculty committed to a quality academic program.
- A balanced position regarding theological beliefs, daily life and conduct, and educational philosophy and practice.
- A close bond of fellowship and a sense of community under the Lordship of Jesus Christ that fosters positive relationships among faculty and students of diverse backgrounds.
- A commitment to a progressive approach in addressing the technological nature of our changing society.
- A setting of natural beauty where lake and mountains meet, ideal for serious study and growth.
Bryan College is founded upon the belief that God is the author of truth; that He has revealed Himself to humanity through nature, conscience, the Bible, and Jesus Christ; that it is His will for all people to come to a knowledge of truth; and that an integrated study of the liberal arts and the Bible, with a proper emphasis on the spiritual, mental, social, and physical aspects of life, will lead to the balanced development of the whole person.
The opportunity for such study should be available to all students who meet admission standards, regardless of their sex, race, creed, color, national or ethnic origin, disability, or age.
Although students are neither required to subscribe to any statement of belief nor placed under any duress with regard to their religious position, the College leadership desires that its graduates will ultimately find their lives transformed by the living Christ, being filled with the Holy Spirit, and consistently practicing a thoroughly Christian lifestyle which grows from a well-developed biblical worldview. These graduates should be well integrated persons and mature citizens who accept their responsibility to glorify God and serve others.