Library celebrates National Library Week Apr 11-17
April 07, 2010
The Bryan College Library will be hosting the following events to celebrate National Library Week 2010, April 11-17:
- People Books Collection: Bryan College has many interesting personalities who have lived interesting lives. Some have offered their stories as open books for library patrons to "check out and read." All you have to do is ask the questions, and they will answer automatically! We have 11 authors representing 52 titles. People Books will be available Sunday, April 11, 6 p.m. and Monday-Friday, April 12-16, 10 a.m. - 5 p.m. Guests are welcome to come by and see when a book they want to read will be waiting for them to check out!
- Evenings of Favorite Readings: Bryan College personalities will be sharing oral readings of passages from some of their favorite essays, stories, and other literature at 7 p.m. each evening Sunday-Thursday.
- The WorldCat Challenge: WorldCat is the global database with detailed records of the combined holdings in every conceivable physical and electronic format of over 72,000 libraries in over 470 languages and 171 countries (including the Bryan College Library). The challenge: Guess how many total holdings will have been added to the WorldCat database by 5 p.m. (EDST) as of Friday of National Library Week--April 16, 2010. E-mail your contest entry with your name, contact information, and your guess to Dr. Gary Fitsimmons by midnight, Wednesday, April 14. Click here to see the current numbers in real time.
- General Library Trivia Contest: How much do you know about libraries in general? Test yourself with these 10 questions that you can download at the Library's website or pick up a copy at the Library's main desk. For a chance to win, submit your answers to the Library's main desk by Thursday, April 15, 11 p.m.
- Know Your Bryan College Library Trivia Contest: How much do you know about your own library? See how many of these 10 questions you can answer correctly. Available for download at the Library's website or pick up a copy at the Library's main desk. For a chance to win, submit your answers to the Library's main desk by Thursday, April 15, 11 p.m.
- Trivia Contest Winners--those who answer the most questions correctly--will be posted Friday, April 16, at noon, in the Library Atrium and contacted by e-mail.
- The WorldCat Challenge winner will be posted by Monday morning, April 19, and contacted by e-mail.
- Prizes include gift cards to local businesses and grab bags.