Then Jesus turned to his host. “When you put on a luncheon or a banquet,” he said, “don’t invite your friends, brothers, relatives, and rich neighbors. For they will invite you back, and that will be your only reward. Instead, invite the poor, the crippled, the lame, and the blind. Then at the resurrection of the righteous, God will reward you for inviting those who could not repay you.” Luke 14:12-14 (NLT)
In response to Joni Eareckson Tada’s Luke 14 Mandate challenge to our campus community in April 2013, Bryan held its first-ever Luke 14 event on Bryan’s 10th Annual Community Service Day, October 8, 2013.
Luke 14: Fun Day on the Hill provided a wonderful opportunity for us to live out Bryan’s mission of educating students to become servants of Christ to make a difference in today’s world.
We are excited to announce that Bryan will host its second Luke 14: Fun Day on the Hill event on Thursday, April 7, 2016.
Our special guests will be students from Rhea County Public Schools’ Comprehensive Developmental Class Program representing these schools:
- Spring City Elementary (Pre K)
- Graysville Elementary (Pre-K)
- Rhea Central Elementary (K-5)
- Rhea County Middle (6-8)
- Rhea County High (9-12)
In addition to the students from the CDC Program, we have also invited their teachers, teaching assistants, parents, and bus drivers to join us for the Fun Day on the Hill.
We are recruiting sponsors to help us with the 2016 event. We will update this list as new sponsors are added. Please email one of the members of the Luke 14 Leadership Team if you are interested in helping us financially or by donating your unique talents and/or material resources to enhance the experience for our special guests.
2016 Event Sponsors
Donating Goods & Services
Face Painting by Gran “D” of Dayton
Magician Mitch Gravitte of Marvel Ministries
Teacher Created Materials, Huntington Beach, CA
Wendy’s of Dayton
Hiwassee Packaging, Inc., of Dayton
City of Dayton Utilities Grant
Information for Volunteers
- Volunteer Assignments (coming in February)
- Student-Buddy Pairing Assignments (will be posted in February): Every student guest will be paired with a “Bryan Buddy.” Most of these students are education or exercise and health science majors who will do their best to ensure our guests have a fun-filled and memorable day on our campus.
- Buddy Responsibilities (will be posted in February)
- Online training required of all volunteers
- Disability etiquette brochure. This resource provides valuable information and tips on how to value, include, and support people with disabilities.
- Talking about disability brochure. This resource is intended as a guide to using descriptive language when talking to or about people with disabilities.