Human Trafficking Study Tour, Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Bryan College is assembling a small team of dedicated students for an educational field experience in the anti-trafficking community in Cambodia. Cambodia is a source, transit and destination country for individuals who are being subjected to forced labor and commercial sexual exploitation.
The U.S. State Department indicates that men, women and children are being trafficked across international boarders with Cambodia’s neighboring states and that Cambodians are being trafficked into slavery in their own country. Worldwide, there are an estimated 27 million people in slavery today, and the profits from human trafficking put it in the top three illicit trades in the world along with drugs and arms.
Alongside key partners in the field, Bryan College is facilitating this study group to take a close look at the realities of trafficking in Cambodia and the strategies and individuals in the movement for abolition. Participants will be enrolled in International Human Trafficking, a three-credit course meeting throughout the spring, to formally study a theology of justice and the mechanics of human trafficking with attention to supply and demand issues, vulnerability factors, and approaches to aftercare, law enforcement, and policy making.
The students and professor will travel to Phnom Penh, Cambodia in mid-May for a ten-day study tour to meet with key leaders, visit relevant sites, and serve selected non-governmental organizations.
To meet the study tour participants, click here.
At a Glance
- Spring 2013 course on International Human Trafficking
- Mid-May study tour in Cambodia, ten days
- Meet with front-lines actors in the fight against human trafficking
- Serve key anti-trafficking organizations
- Participate in research for real-world solutions
- Scholarship money may be available; check with the professor
- Network with leaders from organizations in a variety of anti-trafficking sectors
The cost is applied as a course fee and is due with the spring school bill.
- All on-ground accommodations
- Flights to and from Cambodia and all in-country transportation
- All meals en route and in-country
- All entrance fees
- Cambodian entrance visa