Location: Dayton, TN
Reports To: Dean, Vogel School of Engineering
Exempt (Y/N): Y
Professor of Mechanical Engineering
Professor of Engineering (level commensurate with experience). The position requires academic excellence in the areas of teaching, scholarship and service with emphasis on teaching. Bryan College currently offers a Bachelor of Science in Engineering degree with concentration options including civil and mechanical engineering. The Vogel School of Engineering opened in the fall of 2018 with a freshman class of 25 students. Enrollment is projected to increase yearly as the program develops. State-of-the-art classroom and laboratory facilities are currently being constructed to accommodate the near-term program build-out to 120 students.
Most importantly, the new faculty will share and promote a Christian worldview consistent with the Bryan College Statement of Belief and Community Life Standards. In particular, the ideal candidate will share and promote the Vogel School of Engineering Purpose Statement:
The purpose of the Vogel School of Engineering at Bryan College is to equip engineering graduates to go out into the world as Ambassadors of Christ, Biblically rooted, with academic excellence and servant hearts to fulfill God’s Creation Mandate.
Missional Engineering is the hallmark focus of the Bryan College Vogel School of Engineering. Engineering faculty are expected to embrace the concept of spreading the Gospel through the profession of engineering.
- An earned terminal degree in Mechanical Engineering or related field
- Teaching experience at the undergraduate level
- U.S. citizenship or permanent authorization to work in the U.S.
- Working in a team environment to formulate and implement policies and procedures for the Vogel School of Engineering informed by a Christian perspective.
- Developing and teaching courses and laboratory modules relating to general engineering classes including: statics, dynamics, strength of materials, fluid mechanics, thermodynamics, heat transfer, as well as mechanical engineering concentration classes including: machine design, manufacturing engineering, kinematics and robotics, mechanical vibration, quality engineering and other courses as needed.
- Administration and oversight of laboratory and maker-space facilities including specification, purchasing and O&M of equipment, maintaining compliance with all regulatory requirements, and developing and implementing policies and procedures relating to the use of the laboratory and maker-space facilities.
- Scholarship in the form of research, publications, and presentations.
- Serving as faculty advisor for student clubs.
- Developing a departmental budget for equipment and supplies.
- Serving as a spiritual mentor and advising students academically and professionally.
- Oversight of accreditation activities including identifying and implementing SACS and ABET requirements.
- Recruitment of students.
- Developing connections and serving as liaison with industrial partners.
- Serving as Vogel School of Engineering representative in the community.
- Other duties as required.
APPLICANTS please fill out our online application and submit the following on or before December 31, 2018:
Review our mission and standards of conduct, and include a brief statement of faith, your vitae and a cover letter describing interest in the position, research interests, and qualifications for the position.