Area of Study:

Department of Education


This grant will provide up to $4,000 per year ($16,000 total/undergraduate).



Scholarship Description

Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education

NOTE: If you are not already committed to teaching a high-need subject in a low-income school, please use caution when considering this possible source of funds. According to some estimates, only 20 percent of students who participate in the TEACH Grant Program will be able to use the funds as grants, while many students will see their funds converted to loans with accumulated interest.

Teaching Obligation

Recipients agree to teach for at least four (4) years within eight (8) years of finishing their teacher preparation program and to teach high-need subjects in designated Title 1 schools that serve low-income students. Failure to fulfill the commitment will result in the grants converting to Unsubsidized Stafford Loans with back-dated interest payments.

High-Need Subject Areas

  • Mathematics
  • Science
  • Foreign language
  • Bilingual education
  • English language acquisition
  • Special education
  • Reading specialist
  • Other fields are documented as high-need by the Federal Government, State Government, or local educational agency, and approved by the Secretary, U. S. Department of Education.

Service Agreement

Each year you receive a TEACH Grant, you must sign a TEACH Grant Agreement to Serve and Promise to Pay (service agreement), which will be available electronically on the U. S. Department of Education website. When you sign the service agreement, you are agreeing to repay the grant as an Unsubsidized Stafford Loan, with interest accrued from the date the grant funds were first disbursed, if you do not complete the teaching service requirement. If the grant is converted to a loan, it cannot be converted back to a grant.


You must confirm within 120 days of completing or otherwise ceasing enrollment in your teacher preparation program that you are fulfilling (or plan to fulfill) the terms and conditions of your service agreement. You must document your teaching service, and your documentation must be certified by the chief administrative officer at the school where you teach.

Other Materials

Instructions to Apply