Dr. Daniel Gleason
Associate Professor of English/ Humanities Department Chair/ Director, Undergraduate Research Conference Email
Direct Office Phone: 423-775-7380
Field of Study: English
Office: English Department
- Ph.D. Indiana University of Pennsylvania
- M.A. English Literary Study, University of Tennessee, Chattanooga
- B.A. English, Bryan College
As the son of a missionary pilot and an English teacher, Daniel Gleason grew up in the Philippines living in an environment that fostered his imagination, creativity, and his love for writing. Currently an English professor at Bryan College, Dr. Gleason has previously worked as a cemetery laborer, as a public educator, and as a soccer coach. Dr. Gleason’s scholarly interests include 20th-century American Literature, contemporary poetry, and trauma theory. In the field of creative writing, he writes primarily poetry and has been published in more than a dozen literary journals and magazines across the country. Daniel and his wife, Kathleen, have two young sons, and they live in Dayton, Tennessee.
Publications, Research, & Editing
- "The Service Went On": Natasha Trethewey's Liturgical Poetics, conference paper at the Conference on Christianity and Literature, 2020
- “Time, Trauma, and Redemption in the Works of Tobias Wolff.” Conference paper at the Conference on Christianity and Literature, 2019.
- "Traumatized Masculinity: Men and Boys in the Works of Tobias Wolff." Indiana University of Pennsylvania, 2018. Proquest.
- “’Not Gone or Vanished Either’: Memory and Imagination in the Novels of William Faulkner.” The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga, 2010. Proquest.
- “from A Journal of the Year of the Tiger” Anthrow Circus
- “Trout Fishing” Rock and Sling
- "My Children Understand that the Laminator is a Sacred Object" South Carolina Review
- "Elegy for my Eighth Grade Typing Teaching" Monologuing
- "Toast at a Wake" The Healing Muse
- "Patron Saint," "Faith," and "Suspended" Dappled Things
- "Sky-Punch" The Cresset
- "Conjuring Prayer" Slant: A Journal of Poetry
- "Bless the Farm Leagues" Dual Coast Magazine
- "When He Dies" Word Fountain
- "For Christopher" Common Ground Review
- “Funeral Fan, a Lament” The Windhover
- “On the Weather Channel” Rosebud
- “Shadowboxing Late at Night” Rattle Poetry
- “Through the Kitchen Window” Red Flag Poetry
- “Sleepwalking” Tipton Poetry Review