Dr. Daniel Gleason
Associate Professor of English/ Humanities Department Chair/ Director, Undergraduate Research Conference Email
Direct Office Phone: 423-775-7380
Field of Study: English
Office: English Department
- Ph.D. Indiana University of Pennsylvania
- M.A. English Literary Study, University of Tennessee, Chattanooga
- B.A. English, Bryan College
Philippines living in an environment that fostered his imagination, creativity, and his love for writing. Currently, an English professor at Bryan College, Dr. Gleason has previously worked as a cemetery laborer, as a public educator, and as a soccer coach. Dr. Gleason’s scholarly interests include 20th-century American Literature, contemporary poetry, and trauma theory. In the field of creative writing, he writes primarily poetry and has been published in more than a dozen literary journals and magazines across the country. Daniel and his wife, Kathleen, have two young sons, and they live in Dayton, Tennessee.
Publications, Research, & Editing
- "The Service Went On": Natasha Trethewey's Liturgical Poetics, conference paper at the Conference on Christianity and Literature, 2020
- “Time, Trauma, and Redemption in the Works of Tobias Wolff.” Conference paper at the Conference on Christianity and Literature, 2019.
- "Traumatized Masculinity: Men and Boys in the Works of Tobias Wolff." Indiana University of Pennsylvania, 2018. Proquest.
- “’Not Gone or Vanished Either’: Memory and Imagination in the Novels of William Faulkner.” The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga, 2010. Proquest.
- “from A Journal of the Year of the Tiger” Anthrow Circus
- “Trout Fishing” Rock and Sling
- "My Children Understand that the Laminator is a Sacred Object" South Carolina Review
- "Elegy for my Eighth Grade Typing Teaching" Monologuing
- "Toast at a Wake" The Healing Muse
- "Patron Saint," "Faith," and "Suspended" Dappled Things
- "Sky-Punch" The Cresset
- "Conjuring Prayer" Slant: A Journal of Poetry
- "Bless the Farm Leagues" Dual Coast Magazine
- "When He Dies" Word Fountain
- "For Christopher" Common Ground Review
- “Funeral Fan, a Lament” The Windhover
- “On the Weather Channel” Rosebud
- “Shadowboxing Late at Night” Rattle Poetry
- “Through the Kitchen Window” Red Flag Poetry
- “Sleepwalking” Tipton Poetry Review