Dr. Pamela Giles
Dean & Professor, Bryan College Clara Ward School of Nursing Email
Direct Office Phone: 423-775-7221
Field of Study: Nursing
Office: Nursing (Clara Ward School of Nursing)
- PhD in Education, focus in Learning Management, Walden University (2010)
- Master of Science in Nursing, focus in Community Health Nursing, Indiana Wesleyan University (1993)
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing, Indiana Wesleyan University (1980)
Dr. Giles grew up in a Wesleyan pastor’s home, and her mother was an English teacher. From her earliest memories, Dr. Giles knew she wanted to be a nurse and a teacher, but mostly a nurse. After she graduated with her BSN degree she worked in a Surgical ICU in Chicago, and then the Lord called her to serve as a missionary in Sierra Leone, West Africa. That experience took her relationship with the Lord Jesus to a whole new level as she learned to trust Him in all things.
After she returned to America, Dr. Giles worked in the ER in an Indianapolis hospital, then began her graduate studies in Community Health Nursing. The Lord then led her into higher education, and she’s been there ever since. Dr. Giles finished her Ph.D. in Education in 2010 and has started nursing programs in Oklahoma, Indiana, Virginia, and now in Tennessee, and she loves what she does.
She met her husband, Todd, after finishing up her MSN, and together they have traveled extensively in Europe, where Todd taught several art-related classes. They have a dog named Wiley, and three cats – and all of them think they are people.
Publications, Research, & Editing
- Giles, P. (2012, September). The impact of adult degree programs on the private college or university. New Directions in Higher Education, 2012(159), 45-53.
- Bridging the Cultural Divide: Addressing Adult Programs as Sub-Cultures on Traditional College Campuses. Co-researcher
- Dissertation: The Impact of Adult Degree Completion Programs on the Organizational Climate of Christian Colleges and Universities
- Thesis: Parish Nursing and the Health Promotion Model: A Feasible Partnership?
Conference & Workshop Presentations
- Integrating Technology Into Online Teaching Presentation to IWU Division of Graduate Nursing Faculty Marion, IN
- Bridging the Cultural Divide: Addressing Adult Programs as Sub- Cultures on Traditional College Campuses Co-presenter, CAHEA Conference Nashville, TN
- Toto, We’re Not In Kansas Any More: Emerging Trends in Nursing Education Co-presenter, Innovations in Faith Conference Indiana Wesleyan University
- The Impact of Adult Degree Programs on the Organizational Behavior and Structure of Christian Colleges and Universities Center for Research in Adult Learning Conference Indianapolis, IN
- The Impact of Adult Degree Programs on the Organizational Behavior and Structure of Christian Colleges and Universities Midwest Scholars Conference Indianapolis, IN
- Using Wikis and Blogs in Blackboard Presentation to IWU Division of Graduate Nursing Faculty Marion, IN
- How Should We Structure Our Adult Ed Program to Maximize Effectiveness? Co-Presenter, Consortium for the Annual Advancement of Adult Higher Education Conference Indianapolis, IN
- The Impact of Adult Degree Programs on the Organizational Climate of Christian Colleges and Universities Christian Adult Higher Education Association Annual Conference Orlando, FL
- The Impact of Adult Degree Programs on the Organizational Climate of Christian Colleges and Universities Midwest Scholars Conference Indianapolis, IN
- Fostering Emotional Connection & Community Via Blackboard Teaching & Learning with Technology Conference Purdue University
- If We Are the Body Wesleyan Medical Fellowship Houghton, NY
- Implementing Non-traditional Nurse Practitioner Education for Working Nurses Co-presenter, AACN Master’s Education Conference San Diego, CA
- If We Are the Body Wesleyan Compassion Ministries Conference Washington, DC
- Poster presentation of Master’s Thesis Parish Nurse Symposium Maywood, IL