Faculty-Staff October news update
October 10, 2011
From the Office for Spiritual Formation »
Mr. Jeff Eenigenburg, Mr. Jonathan Doran, Mr. Andrew McPeak, Mr. Ben Norquist, Ms. Danielle Rebman, and Ms. Bonnie Marie Yager attended the 2011 Catalyst Conference in Atlanta, Georgia. Catalyst leaders describe the event as "a powerful gathering of 13,000 young leaders, a movement of influencers and world changers who love Jesus, see things differently, and feel a burden for our generation. We seek to learn, worship and create together with a momentous energy passionately pursuing God." Speakers included Andy Stanley, Jim Collins, Priscilla Shirer, Dave Ramsey, and many others.
An additional 57 staff, faculty and students also attended Catalyst:
- From Residence Life: Mr. Tim Shetter, Ms. Karie Harpest, and Mr. Jon Slater.
- Faculty member Dr. Scott Jones and 45 students from his Applied Christian Leadership class.
- Additional staff members included Director of Admissions Mr. Aaron Porter, Coach Taylor Hasty, Coach Clint McAuley, Financial Aid Counselor Mr. Ryan Smith, and IT Helpdesk Assistant Mr. Chad Byers.
- Ms. Kauri Tallant attended the American Association of Christian Counselors World Conference in Nashville from Sept 28- Oct 1. Keynote speakers included T.D. Jakes, Luis Palau, Wess Stafford, and Lee Strobel.
- Paul C. Kemeny, ed., Church, State and Public Justice (InterVarsity Press) in Cultural Encounters, Vol. 7, No. 2 (2011)
- James Davison Hunter, "Christ and Culture II" in Touchstone: A Journal of Mere Christianity (July-August 2011).
Dr. Scott Jones had a review of Amy Hanson, Baby Boomers and Beyond: Tapping the ministry talents and passions of adults over 50 (Jossey - Bass) in Christian Education Journal series 3, vol. 8, No. 2 (2011)
Mrs. Kimberly Keck and Dr. Sigrid Luther performed a song cycle with clarinetist Jay Craven at the October 5 meeting of the MacDowell Music Club at Brainerd Baptist Church in Chattanooga.
Dr. Ray Legg traveled to Madrid, Spain, September 28-October 2, where he met with Dr. Michele Pascucci (on sabbatical) and the Evangelical Christian Academy staff to explore Bryan student partnership and ministry possibilities.
Dr. Phil Lestmann and two mathematics majors attended the Bluegrass Undergraduate Mathematics Symposium at Centre College in Danville, Kentucky.
Mrs. Corinne Livesay attended the 2011 Tennessee Society for Human Resource Management Conference & Exposition at the Chattanooga Convention Center, September 22-23.
Dr. Salvatore Musumeci gave a presentation entitled “Beyond Gumbo: New Orleans Cuisine as a Mosaic of Europe and Microcosm of Itself” at the SoFAB 2011 Symposium: Hungry in the South, The Southern Food and Beverage Museum, New Orleans, LA, September 16-18.
Dr. Michele Pascucci presented a paper entitled “Word Recognition Logs: un método sencillo y versátil para aprovechar los recursos en la Red sin agobiar al profesor” at the XXII Congreso Internacional de la Asociación para la Enseñanza de Español como Lengua Extranjera, held in Valladolid, Spain, September 21-24. In addition, her paper “Fray Luis de León en el aula de ELE: el análisis de la gramática contextualizada con De los nombres de Cristo” has been published in the proceedings from last year’s conference in Salamanca (Del texto a la lengua. La aplicación de los textos a la enseñanza-aprendizaje del español L2-LE. Actas del XXI Congreso Internacional de ASELE. Ed. Javier de Santiago Guervós, et al. Salamanca: Universidad de Salamanca, 2011. 1215-26.).
Landscaping Coordinator Mrs. Karen Randen and her assistant Mr. Tommy Gomez hosted a campus tour of the grounds for the Four Seasons Garden Club of Dayton on October 4.