Registrar & Transcripts


The Registrar maintains records on student enrollment and academic progress, oversees the processes of registration, reports appropriate information to various constituencies consistent with student privacy rights, and provides copies of academic transcripts upon student request for all the programs offered by the college. The Registrar coordinates and oversees the degree-granting process, working with students and advisers to assure graduation goals are attained. 

These are essential steps to ensure a smooth college career and graduation.

Freshman Year

  1. Concentrate on 100-level core curriculum courses.
    Keep the Registrar’s Office informed of any changes in your major.
  2. It is essential to work closely with your academic adviser.
  3. In order to complete a bachelor’s degree, you need to average 15-16 credits each semester in order to finish in 4 years.
  4. Please be sure to follow the correct 4-year plan for your major and entering year.

Sophomore Year

  1. Finalize your choice of major.
  2. If you intend to pursue two majors you must submit a “permission to double major” form.
  3. By the end of the year submit an “application for major” form to the Registrar’s Office.
  4. If you intend to complete any minors also submit applications for minor(s).

Junior Year

  1. Most of your core curriculum courses should be completed by now.
  2. In the spring it is very important that you submit an “application for graduation”. (Over the summer the registrar’s office will do an audit of your records and send you a list of the courses that need to be completed during the senior year.)

Senior Year

  1. Carefully and thoroughly read the degree audit information sent to you over the summer, including the remainder list. Go over this with your adviser as well. Please notify the Registrar’s Office promptly if there are any changes, errors, or oversights.
  2. It is your responsibility to register for the proper courses, have transcripts from other schools sent, and submit applications for majors, minors, and graduation.
  3. Re-read the previous year’s information to ensure that you have not overlooked something.
  4. Will you have completed all general education/core requirements, major requirements,
    and free electives?
Chemistry Student
Arnold Dorm


The Office of the Registrar keeps on file a permanent record of all credits earned by each student. Transcripts of record are issued only upon receipt of a written request signed by the student in accordance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act. Before an official transcript of record will be issued, the student’s financial obligations at the College must have been met, and there must be no record that the student is in default status on any student loan. 

Registrar FAQs

How do I keep up with all the technical information such as dates to drop/add, when to fill out major and minor applications or applications for graduation?

This information can be found on:

  1. The class schedule you receive prior to pre-registration 
  2. The events calendar on the college website.
  3. Student Life emails that are sent out almost daily to your email

What is the difference between a Tutorial and an Independent Study?

A tutorial is a regular catalog course for which we would have on file syllabi from previous years, etc. Usually a student would need a tutorial because of an irresolvable conflict or the need to take a course out of sequence. Students cannot do a Tutorial in a Selected Topics (this would be an Independent Study).

An independent study is for students who want to study an area in which we do not have a course. This is usually advanced students who are able to work on their own. This has an additional $100 fee for up to 3 credits.

The appropriate forms must be completed and in the Registrar’s Office before classes begin for the semester in which the tutorial/independent study is to be undertaken.

Why is it necessary for me to always consult with my advisor? Can’t I plan my own program?

You are assigned an advisor so that he/she can guide you through what, to some, is a very confusing process. Your advisor can help you complete your desired major in the most expeditious manner. advisors are there to answer your questions and save you and your parents money by keeping your program moving toward completion. You can always come to the Registrar’s Office as well. We will be glad to assist you in any way possible.

If I decide to take a course at another college, how can I be sure that it will transfer back to Bryan and count for the course needed in my program?

Before registering for any course off-campus, come by the Registrar’s Office and pick up a Petition for Off-Campus Credit form. Make a copy of the course description in the catalog of the off-campus school and attach it to the form. There is a place to list the course(s) you plan to take and get the signature of the corresponding professor here at Bryan. When this is returned and signed by the Registrar, you are free to register for the approved course(s) at the listed school. However, it is your responsibility to request a transcript be sent to the Registrar at Bryan as soon as you have completed the coursework so that the course can be transferred onto your transcript.


How do I go about changing my exams if I want to leave early to go home?

The exam schedule is published at the beginning of each semester by the Registrar’s Office. A copy is on our bulletin board. The student is expected to consult that schedule early before making any travel plans for the end of the semester.

If I need a copy of my transcript, how can I get it? Does it cost anything?

Pick up a transcript request form from the Registrar. It costs $10.00 to process. If you are not on campus you can submit a transcript request online.

What if I want to take an Incomplete (I) grade in a class at the end of the semester? Do I just request this of the professor?

Bryan College policy states: “The grade of I for incomplete is given only when extended illness or other emergency circumstances beyond the student’s control prevent the student from completing assignments or from taking the final examination. Students who receive an ”I” are required to complete coursework within eight weeks from the last day of the exam period unless an extension approved by the teacher and the registrar is granted. After this period, the I becomes an F and is recorded on the student’s transcript.“

If you believe your reason fits the description above, then come to the Registrar’s Office and ask for an Incomplete Grade Request form. The form is self-explanatory and must be filled out and signed by the listed persons and returned to the Registrar’s office before the end of final exams.

What if I feel that the grade listed on my grade report is incorrect? What can I do about it?

You can request a copy of the Request for Grade Change form in the Registrar’s Office. This form should be completed with the professor in question and returned to the Registrar for processing.

I don’t know what to choose for my major. Is there someone I can talk to so I can make up my mind?

You can stop by the Career Services office located in Mercer 212B.

I would like to change my major. What should I do?

  1. Go to the Registrar’s Office and pick up a Change of Major form. 
  2. Complete the new form by obtaining the signature of your old advisor and new Department Chair. 
  3. Take the form back to the Registrar’s office
  4. Schedule a meeting with your new advisor so that you can go on the right track for your new major!


I’ve heard that I have to apply for my major. Is this correct, and if so, how do I go about doing it?

By the end of your Sophomore year, you should have set your goals for your degree and be actively pursuing those goals. At this point, you should obtain an Application for Major form in the Registrar’s Office, take a few moments to complete the form, get your advisor’s signature and return it to us. If you plan to pursue a minor, the same process applies with the Application for Minor.

What if I decide to major in two different fields?

This would be considered a double major. If both majors are B.A.’s, the major required coursework does not overlap. In this case, the student would complete an Application for Major for both majors, consult an advisor in both areas, and complete the Major Requirements for each major, plus the core curriculum requirements and electives required for each major.


Students desiring to complete more than one major also need to complete a “Permission to Double Major” form. This form is available in the Registrar’s Office.


From the Bryan Catalog: “Students are permitted to complete more than one major; however it may take longer to graduate and additional expenses may be incurred. Course scheduling is designed for students attempting one major and so the College is not responsible for resulting schedule conflicts. Additionally, it is the responsibility of the student to seek both permission and academic advisement from both majors. Students desiring to complete more than one major may do so provided a minimum of 50% of the hours required in one major do not overlap with the other major. Completing two options within the same major does not constitute a double major or a second degree.”

Is there any place on campus where I can obtain information on graduate level exams such as GRE, LSAT, MCAT, etc?

Yes. This information can be obtained in the Career Services office located in the ARC.


What is an Application for Graduation?

There is a form called Application for Graduation. This form should be obtained in the Registrar’s Office and completed by the close of the Junior year. When received, the Registrar completes an audit of your proposed degree, sending you a list with everything you need to complete before you can graduate.


How do I keep track of the hours I have taken and what I need to finish the requirements for my major?

You can monitor your progress via your MyBryan account under course history. You will be assigned an academic advisor in your major area of study who will assist you in your course planning.

If I don’t finish the courses needed to graduate by May, am I allowed to participate in graduation and if so, which one?

Participation in the commencement exercises held early in May is normally reserved for:

Students completing all degree requirements by the end of the spring semester

Students who completed all degree requirements by the end of the previous fall semester may participate or not according to personal choice

Students who have one or two courses (no more than 7 credits) may participate as a candidate for graduation provided they have submitted and have had approved a definitive plan to complete their program by August of the same year

In no case may a student participate in two commencement exercises for the same degree.


I notice requirements for different majors change from one catalog to the next. How do I know which requirements I need to finish my major?

Quoting from the catalog, “The Academic Catalog which is current during the first semester the student is enrolled as a matriculated student is the catalog requirements that student is to follow. That catalog will remain open to the student until the student either graduates or does not re-enroll for one or more semesters. A student, in consultation with the advisor, may opt for a newer catalog. In the case where a student leaves Bryan with 18 hours or less remaining, the student has one calendar year from the date of last attendance to complete degree requirements under the entering catalog. Prior approval is required if any coursework is taken at another institution.”


Registrar's Office
721 Bryan Drive
Dayton, TN 37321
Mercer 202, Box 7784

Office Phone: 423-775-7236