Department: Student Life
Location: Dayton, TN
Reports To: Director of Residence & Student Engagement
Exempt (Y/N): Y
Department: Student Life
- Male Resident Director
The Resident Director (RD) position is a live-in 10-month (July 15th – May 15th) full-time position that is part of the Office of Student Life. The RDs report directly to the Director of Residence Life & Student Engagement. The RD is responsible to direct and manage a positive living-learning environment that contributes to and enhances the academic, intellectual, interpersonal, physical and spiritual development of residential students, and assists with the operation of the Department of Student Life. Working directly with a team of student leaders (Resident Assistants-RAs), the RD will strive to integrate faith and relationship with Christ in the on-campus living environment with students, staff, faculty, and outside constituents.
This position requires an individual to live on campus and demonstrate a mature and continually growing personal relationship with Jesus Christ, demonstrated spiritual leadership aptitude and experience, superior judgment, a passion for the collegiate learning environment, the ability to complete projects with minimal supervision, and the understanding of current student issues, student disciplinary processes, and educational and social programming.
Due to the nature of a live-on-campus position, the following are included with employment: housing (furnished), cell phone stipend, and meal plan.
- Mentor, supervise and disciple the Resident Assistants (RAs) in his/her residence hall by building a strong relationship with each one, providing encouragement, and developing a healthy work environment
- Assist in the planning and implementation of the RA Retreats and trainings
- Participate in the regular RA meetings
- Assist in the RA selection process
- Enforce College standards, rules and regulations, reporting major discipline problems and offenses to the Dean or Assistant Dean of Students
- Establish visibility and availability within the residence halls
- Work to create a residence hall atmosphere conducive to individual, social and academic success
- Advise and counsel students as necessary, making appropriate referrals as needed
- Assist in the beginning and end of the year residence hall procedures
- Assist in emergency situations, reporting problems to the appropriate officials
- Serve as “RD on-duty” according to duty schedule
- Attend appropriate departmental staff meetings
- Provide support and encouragement to fellow staff members in an effort to build a strong working environment
- Manage dorm budget
- Demonstrate a growing relationship with Christ through lifestyle and speech
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor
Directly supervises the Resident Assistants(RAs) of his/her residence hall. The RDs carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with Bryan College’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include training staff; planning, assigning, and directing tasks. In addition, the RDs are responsible for interviewing and hiring new staff members, addressing complaints, and resolving problems.
A lifestyle and testimony that demonstrate a vital and growing relationship with Jesus Christ; competence in relational, interactive, supportive and confrontational skills; ability to develop and/or utilize schedules, records, reports and forms to organize time and manage a college residence facility; ability and desire to establish relationships with people of diverse backgrounds; a commitment to the educational mission of Bryan College as a non-denominational Christ-centered liberal arts college; as well as the following:
A Bachelor’s degree is required; Master’s and experience is preferred.
The RD should expect to be up late nights often, as this is the time that many residential college students are actively seeking to spend time with their RD.